Community Release Note for SPIRE Calibration 8_1
The SPIRE calibration tree "spire_cal_8_1" was released in December 2011 to be compatible with HIPE v8.0.
Impact of the changes compared to the previous release (7_0)
- The new relative gains calibration product accounts for the differing beam shape for different detectors across the array. It means that the pipeline will produce better quality maps for extended emission.
- The updated channel noise product only affects Mad Map. It updates this product to be in line with the latest changes to the flux calibration (previous version was out of date in this respect).
- The new bolometer phases calibration product allows bright mode observations (which use dephased detector settings) to be processed through the engineering conversion.
- The tighter band edges mean that (spurious) spikes at the edges of the band are not included in the final spectra.
- The unit change from wavenumber to GHz will mean calibration products are consistent with output data being in GHz.
- The updated OPD limits calibration file will mean that Calibration Resolution observations are processed exactly as High Resolution observations in the standard pipeline.
- The new bright gain & nominal PCAL files allow bright mode observations to be properly calibrated for the first time.
- The deep Rsrf for the central jiggle position improves the noise in deep single pointed observations.
- The new BeamParam product format means that off-axis detectors can be accomodated (although not included in this cal update).
- The updated Rsrfs and BeamParam for bright mode allow these observations to be calibrated.
Differences in individual products compared to the previous release
For detailed information about each product, see http://herschel.esac.esa.int/twiki/bin/view/Public/SpireCalibrationProducts.
- SCalPhotChanRelGain: New product to improve extended emission calibration.
- SCalPhotChanNoise: Updated for latest flux calibration (only used for MadMap).
Release Date: December 2011 (coinciding with the public release of HIPE v8.0)
- SCalSpecBrightGain: New product for bright mode processing.
- SCalSpecNomPcal: New product for bright mode processing.
- SCalSpecBolPhase: New product for bolometer phases needed for bright mode (+bug fix for SSW).
- SCalSpecOpdLimits: Process CR observations with same OPD limits as HR.
- SCalSpecBandEdges: Narrower band edges to avoid spikes + convert to GHz.
- SCalSpecPhaseCorrLim: Convert to GHz.
- SCalSpecTeleRsrf: Add bright mode products, update to GHz + use deep RSRF (+bug fix for mapping)
- SCalSpecInstRsrf: Add bright mode products, update to GHz
- SCalSpecBeamParam: Add bright mode products, update to GHz + add off-axis detectors